Even professionals make mistakes. Here are some of the most common SEO mistakes that can hurt your search engine rankings.
• Hidden text is one of the best ways of hurting your search engine rankings. What many people do not know is that search engines can see these hidden texts. Simply put, hidden text is illegal so you should avoid this.
• Spamming does not work with search engines. If you submit your website more than once a month this is already considered as spamming. Spamming can backfire on your website, causing it to be banned or penalized.
• Keyword stuffing is also a form of spamming and can jeopardize search engine rankings. Content should be informative and entertaining. If you provide this kind of content then there is no need to spam.
• Avoid using frames. Many search engines frown on this practice. Search engines generally index the frameset page and not the individual frames.
• Lots of pictures with very minimal content can also hurt your search engine rankings. Remember that search engines cannot index jpg or gif images. Make sure that if you use a lot of pictures or images there are also lots of text and content involved.
• Web pages that do not have unique IP addresses often have low search engine rankings. Remember that computers use IP addresses to identify websites. When you select a web provider make sure that your website has a unique IP address even if you have to pay a bit more for hosting.